I know and use Subversion properties (and the keyword substitution) for quite a while now, but never used all of them and mostly stayed with the
This results in a substituted string like this:
$Id: ProductController.php 227 2010-04-28 08:25:32Z jachim $
Because my colleague Arno and myself do a lot of server maintenance and configuration, we ended up maintaining a lot of configuration files in a dedicated repostitory. The big problem here is the fact that you need discipline to check in the changes in Subversion and exporting them into place (manually or with a hook).
In order to help us pointing out which files are in the repository and where, we’ve added 2 keywords in every file:
// $HeadURL$ // $Id$
Which gets nicely transformed into usefull information on the servers’ filesystem:
// $HeadURL: http://server/trunk/dnsserver/var/named/chroot/etc/zones/dmz.zones $ // $Id: dmz.zones 1889 2010-05-31 12:26:20Z jachim $